About to introduce a new kitten into the family? Proper preparation is important to ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. Here’s how to prepare for kittens!
New Kitten Tips: Creating a Safe, Kitten-Proof Den!
It’s best to focus your preparation efforts on a single room. This is going to be your kitty’s den, and it’s where they should usually stay until they get used to the new environment.
It’s important that this room isn’t too big, and it’s properly kitten-proofed. You should remove any accessible medications and hide electrical cords. From there, you’ll just need to fill it with their stuff!
How to Prepare for Kittens: Checklist
Not to alarm you, but there’s quite a lot you need for a new cat. Here’s an easy-to-follow checklist for a new kitten!
- Kitten food. The previous owner of the kitten should tell you what kitten food they’ve been eating. You should continue feeding this food for now. If you’d like to change the food they’re on, be sure to pick a high-quality one – follow this guide to learn more.
- Food and water bowls. Small bowls work best here.
- Litter tray and cat litter. There’s many cat litters to choose from. I’d recommend checking out this article to find the best for your household and cat.
- Cat bed. Kittens do a lot of sleeping, so a comfy cat bed works wonders!
- Travel carrier. You’ll need your cat used to this, so keep it in the room even when it isn’t in use.
- Set up a check-up with the vet. It’s always best to get a general health exam for a new kitten. You can set up appointments for vaccinations too.