My Dog Stinks… Why?
There can be several reasons why some dogs have a distinctively bad smell. If your dog smells so bad, that you can’t even stand the stench, here are some potential causes and what you can do to help get the stink out:
1. Many dogs like to roll in poop and play with skunks. You may not see the exact moment but the smell is unmistakable. Is very unpleasant but thankfully it is rather obvious to notice and isn’t a big problem. The solution is simple. Give the dog a good grooming to solve the problem and if the smell is too much, make sure you ask your groomer for the Groomit odor removal Add-on.
2. If the odor comes from the dog’s skin is harder to identify the reason, generally, it is some type of infection or alteration to the amount of secretion produced on the skin. The first thing is to detect what’s the cause, in order to solve it, which is not an easy thing, we recommend you to visit your trusted vet.
3. If your dog has a bad breath there can be several reasons, one is that the teeth need a deep cleaning. Ask your groomer for a teeth brushing service to rule out that possibility, the groomer will also be able to tell you that the reason is not just the mouth but an internal reason like kidney failure and diabetes. If so contact your vet to find out more.
4. Bacterial infections of the ears are often smelly. Your dog will usually be scratching or shaking the head, make sure that water doesn’t get it before treating the infection correctly.
5. The most common cause of persistent doggie odor is anal sacs which are two small scent-sacs in the area of the anus. Groomit offers an Anal Expression service to help out.
We hope these tips help you and your pet loving home to smell fresher for longer.