Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips
Nothing is better than celebrating around the table with plenty of food, while being surrounded by our friends and family. If you have a pet you know they will be around celebrating with you! There is plenty of food and if you do want to include your dog or cat in the festivities please consider the following Thanksgiving safety tips for pets.
You can share the cooked turkey meet with your pets, however, please be very careful not to give them cooked bones that are sharp pieces that can get lodged in your dog’s or cat’s intestine. Also, avoid the skin that can be fatty and hard to digest, most recipes include onion, sage and garlic and these can be very toxic for your pet.
2. Gravy & Stuffing
Many of the ingredients that are in the graving and inside the turkey are very toxic for your pet. We recommend you to keep them away and just offer them raw carrots or broccoli.
3. Mashed Potatoes
Your dog is safe eating potatoes but sometimes mashed potatoes are made with ingredients that can be toxic and bad for their digestion, such as heavy cream. If you feel like sharing some potatoes, make sure you separate some for your pet before you prepare the dish.
Chocolate contains a toxic substance for dogs, Theobromine, which can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, and even death.
Dogs can eat bread, however, it is not recommended as it has no nutritional benefits. What is very bad for dogs is the dough, their stomachs offer optimum conditions for rising dough. Dough mixed with their stomachs may release toxic levels of ethanol into the dog’s system, which you want to avoid.
6. Macadamia Nuts
This is a very toxic food for dogs, they can affect the nervous system. The poisoning can become apparent through muscle tremors, vomiting, and even paralysis.
7. Don’t leave the trash nearby
As you might know, there will be a lot of leftovers and wastes after dinner and that could be very tempting for your pets. Make sure you don’t leave the trash overnight inside the house because the smell that comes out of it could be irresistible for your furry friend.